Millions of people across the world come to Pinterest to find new ideas every day. It’s where they get inspiration, dream about new possibilities and plan for what matters most. Our mission is to help those people find their inspiration and create a life they love. In your role, you’ll be challenged to take on work that upholds this mission and pushes Pinterest forward. You’ll grow as a person and leader in your field, all the while helping Pinners make their lives better in the positive corner of the internet.
Our new progressive work model is called PinFlex, a term that’s uniquely Pinterest to describe our flexible approach to living and working. Visit our PinFlex landing page to learn more.
Pinterest is one of the fastest growing online ad platforms, and our success depends on mining rich user interest data that helps us connect users with highly relevant advertisers/products. Stilling at the top of the Ads delivery funnel, the mission of the Ads retrieval team is to quickly and efficiently retrieve every eligible ad for every query context, ad format, and objective. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager with experience in machine learning, and recommendation systems to lead a team that develops advanced machine learning models to show the most engaging and relevant promoted content to the users.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a team of 12+ data scientists embedded with ML and backend development teams.
- Be able to build a data science team that can support high-levels of experimentation, prototyping and development of ranking, retrieval, and marketplace models that optimize for a variety of advertiser and Pinner objectives.
- Create a culture of analytical rigor and systems understanding.
- Build a technical team of data scientists who understand privacy and audience targeting.
- Understand and advocate for the needs of Pinners, Partners, and Pinterest.
- Work closely with Product managers on roadmap development, set the technical direction.
- Coach and mentor team members and help them develop their career path and achieve their career goals.
What we’re looking for:
- M.S/ PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics or related field.
- 5+ years of industry experience building production machine learning systems at scale, data mining, search, recommendations, and/or natural language processing.
- 3+ years of experience leading 6+ member teams either as TLM/EM.
- Cross-functional collaborator and strong communicator.
- Experience with ads domain is a big plus.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
At Pinterest, our mission is to bring everyone the inspiration to create a life they love—and that includes our employees. We’re taking on the most exciting challenges of our working lives, and we succeed with a team that represents an inclusive and diverse set of identities and backgrounds.