Locations: San Francisco, CA; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Remote
About the team
Product Design at Gusto is made up of over 45 creative, collaborative, people who care deeply about our mission to empower small businesses and their employees. We’re a cross-functional bunch focused on design, research, and writing who are always looking for opportunities to build understanding and empathy for the people who use Gusto. We don’t care a whole lot about swim lanes and we work closely with our partners in product, engineering, data, and marketing. We are passionate advocates for thoughtful, crafted, and inclusive experiences and we believe great design can make hard things possible, even delightful.
About the company
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. Every touchpoint a business has with their employees offers an opportunity for meaningful connection, from payroll and health insurance, to onboarding and team management. We believe that work can empower a better life and that small businesses are the backbone of the economy. Gusto’s team is distributed with home bases in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and with many people working remotely across the US and Canada. We serve over 100,000 businesses and over a million of their employees. Read more about what it’s like to work at Gusto on our [Register to View] page.
About the opportunity
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll take ownership of a large area of Gusto’s Payroll, HR or Accountants product and be involved in the entire product development process – from early research and visioning to adjusting pixels to launching and iterating on experiences for our customers.
Gusto is first and foremost customer-driven. We take pride in making informed decisions based on customer research and data while balancing short and long term technical decisions. If you are a strategic customer advocate who enjoys complex problems and improving customer experiences, we’d love to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Deeply understand and solve complex problems to give our customers peace of mind
- Design simple, easy-to-use flows and experiences that delight our customers
- Partner with PMs, engineers, and copywriters across the company to oversee user experience for products and features from conception to launch
- Develop deep empathy for our customers and translate both qualitative insights and quantitative data into creative ideas and informed design decisions
- Cultivate a creative design process that is built on inclusion and strong cross-functional collaboration
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product team
- Provide and seek feedback from other designers to always push the bar for quality
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Experience designing and shipping complex products founded in data and customer insights
- Ability to form clear hypotheses around design decisions and lay out a path to validate them
- Industry experience designing at every step of the development process, from brainstorming to post-launch research
- Extensive generative and evaluative research experience
- Strong design craft; the desire and ability to mentor other designers and elevate design at Gusto
- Experience balancing long-term design goals with an Agile-based iterative approach
- Strong communication skills and enthusiasm for collaborating across the entire company
- Ability to embrace ambiguous situations as opportunities to create
- Passion for Gusto’s mission and the impact we can have on the world
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $127,000-$151,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $154,000-$183,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [Register to View]