Do you have a passion for using technology to bring about social change? Are you driven to find innovative solutions that promote sustainable social impact? If so, come join the team at Benetech!
Benetech is a Palo Alto, CA-based nonprofit that empowers communities with software for social good. Our work transforms how people with disabilities read, learn, and gain meaningful employment and makes it safer for human rights defenders to pursue truth and justice.
Benetech is looking for an Engineer 1 who will be a member of our engineering team tasked with building out our various software applications. Benetech engineering provides our engineers with an exciting, fast paced and agile software development environment in which they can develop their technical skills and make significant contributions to our software development projects. The engineering environment is highly collaborative and engineers on the team actively interact with other team members, product managers, operations staff and the quality assurance team.
This full-time position can be conducted remotely anywhere in the United States. Benetech is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in its staff and encourages all qualified people to apply, including minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We firmly believe in Doing More Together – it’s even one of our Truths! You can read more about our underlying values here: Benetech Truths.
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Benetech encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and extend the software components of Benetech’s applications, particularly Bookshare.
- Actively collaborate with other engineers, system admins, product managers, QA engineers and vendors.
- Bring critical thinking and creativity to all phases of the product development lifecycle.
- Deliver passion, enthusiasm and humor to the work environment.
- Zero to two years of professional software development or internship experience.
- B.S. in Computer Science, a related degree or equivalent knowledge derived from professional software development experience.
- Experience developing with Java or an equivalent language such as C#.
- A broad understanding of software development best practices, design principles, and software maintainability, especially in agile environments.
- Experience building consumer facing or SaaS web applications.
- Understanding of relational database or NoSQL technology.
- A definite plus - experience with cloud services such as Amazon AWS
- Another definite plus – experience with version control systems used to branch and merge code, such as Git and Agile management tools (e.g. Jira) used to organize engineering tasks.
- A passion for making the world a better place!