*This is a remote-inclusive role and we are open to considering candidates based in North America, +/- 3 hrs of PST*
At Netflix, we want to entertain the world and are constantly innovating on how entertainment is imagined, created and delivered to a global audience. We currently stream content in more than 30 languages in 190 countries, topping over 220 million paid subscribers and are expanding into new forms of entertainment such as gaming.
Engineering teams within Netflix work hard every day to scale and innovate this content production and membership experience in an ever-growing complex software landscape. We are looking for a distributed systems engineer to work on infrastructure and platforms that enable or amplify the work of other engineering teams or systems. The backend infrastructure domain is an exciting place for innovation. Teams focus on raising levels of abstraction to improve development at scale and creating internal engineering efficiencies. They create internal products, often through self-directed exploration of the available solution space. Engineered components involve a combination of non-customer-facing services, tools (UI, CLI, or API), and workflows. Being a global and rapidly diversifying business means thoughtfully designing tool-sets that are adaptable to diverse consuming teams, personas, geographies, and new needs (e.g. gaming).
As an Engineer in this function, you are passionate about scalable and highly available complex distributed systems and have a deep understanding of how they operate and fail. You will be expected to drive the requirements for and own large components of the system throughout their lifecycle: requirements, architecture/design, implementation, testing, and launch. You will need to exhibit strong leadership and communication skills to define and successfully execute on the engineering and release priorities through cross-functional partnerships.
Must have skills & experience:
- Building & operating complex distributed systems involving microservices and APIs
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, GCP, or similar
- Experience with Java, Python, or other object-oriented languages
What you’ll be doing in this role:
- Building microservices, APIs, databases, caches, and tooling for a variety of end-users
- Understanding and solving business needs at scale with high-quality solutions
- Leveraging software craftsmanship and improving your team’s engineering and automated testing best practices
- Leaning into proactiveness and effective communication in pursuit of cross-functional collaborations
- Balancing bias to action with the ability to make well-informed bets
- Engaging directly with end engineering users to understand their needs and improve their experience
You will be successful in the role if:
- You thrive in ambiguity; complex and fuzzy requirements are more common than clearly defined customer expectations.
- You take incremental steps toward solving big problems; test and learn approaches work better than heads-down development.
- You are independent and self-driven; progress is often self-directed by teams & individuals
- Ownership is core to how you approach your work.
We seek to grow inclusive and diverse teams that will enhance our perspectives, skill-sets, and behaviors. We highly encourage you to apply if your background will complement us, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns.
Netflix values freedom and responsibility, context over control among other things. You can learn more about our unique and sometimes unusual culture here