Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service, with 200+ million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause, and resume watching all without commercials or commitments. We are revolutionizing how shows and movies are produced, pushing technological boundaries to efficiently deliver streaming video at a massive scale over the internet. We are focused on disrupting the media and entertainment industry by applying innovative software development and data design practices.
We enable Netflix to create, transfer and store content at the exabyte scale. As our studio grows, and we continue to make content, our storage systems need to meet those demands. If we shoot in LA, editorial might happen in Vancouver, and other post-production functions could happen in Mumbai. The files need to be able to transfer from one location to another. Currently, the way the industry moves files is physical. What we are doing is similar to what email did to the paper and pen. We are putting everything into the cloud and moving large amounts of data in near real-time. What takes other studios weeks to months to complete, takes us just days. As we continue to innovate in this space, we will get closer and closer to real time, which will further enable our goal of creating content that brings our members joy. This team is at the heart of that initiative and without us, it would be impossible to meet that goal. This platform works in various infrastructure locations, not just AWS, but our own infra like Open connect. We are building storage services to support the vast amount of data and metadata that we ingest, curate, and manage. We are focusing on building value-add data services on top of open platforms. This platform is a foundational building block to multiple studio technology products that will change the way the entertainment industry makes and produces content.
We are looking for a senior software engineer with relevant experience for the storage platform team. As a key member of this team you will have an opportunity to work on multiple layers of the storage platform stack which include block and object storage via Ceph, transfer plane to move large files efficiently and reliably across different locations, sophisticated control plane that stores metadata and orchestrates the storage platform by integrating with various applications and a file system in user space interface for workstations . This is a cross-functional role where you will partner, collaborate and align with engineering, product and business teams across platform and studio organizations. The scope and impact of the team are rapidly evolving and growing which will provide opportunities to evolve and grow in innovative ways.
Who Are You?
- You are curious, enjoy hard technical problems, and are driven by big impact.
- You enjoy collaborating across cross-functional teams and connecting the dots.
- You are a clear, proactive communicator with good written and verbal skills.
- You build trust and are capable of debating and understanding different perspectives but always be driven by making the right decisions for the business.
- You have a track record of strong technical architecture, product vision, project execution and production operations.
What (ideally) you already know or have experience in
- Storage technologies like FUSE (File system in user space), File systems, Block storage, Object storage.
- Platform development and operational experience in cloud infrastructures.
- Delivered cross-functional complex products across multiple teams.
- Working through quickly evolving business requirements and multiple stakeholders.
We are inclusive and our culture is unique. We tend to live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about Netflix here