At Netflix, we want to entertain the world and are constantly innovating on how entertainment is imagined, created, and delivered to a global audience. We currently stream content in more than 30 languages in 190 countries, topping over 222 million paid subscribers, and are expanding into new forms of entertainment like gaming and interactive content. Engineering teams within Netflix work hard every day to scale and innovate this content production and membership experience in an ever-growing complex software landscape.
The Platform Networking organization's mission is to deliver a scalable, reliable, secure, agile, and efficient Network-as-a-service to provide innovative experiences for our members and content creators around the world.
Cloud Network Engineering
Cloud Network Engineering is responsible for all aspects of cloud-based networking for the Netflix service. Our goal is to create network architectures that can readily evolve with the needs of our product services and initiatives. We achieve this goal by developing tools and services that improve network availability, security, and visibility. Our domain ownership is divided into four high-level segments: Cloud Network Infrastructure, Cloud-based DNS Management, Cloud Network Insight, Cloud Network Triage.
Host Networking is a newly formed team within Platform engineering. We are at the forefront of transforming and supporting Netflix services and businesses with our goals to scale our Streaming service and support our expanded business use-cases of Studio, Gaming, Animation. We deliver on these goals via our mission to evolve, manage, optimize and scale the network on Netflix’s compute infrastructure.
Cloud Gateway provides a consistent traffic management story throughout the Netflix ecosystem. The Cloud Gateway team is responsible for designing, developing, and operating Zuul, Netflix’s flagship open-source API Gateway. We are the front door for all traffic coming into the cloud and help ensure hundreds of millions of members have a fast, reliable, and secure streaming experience.
Service Networking is focused on creating a consistent, seamless, secure, and adaptive infrastructure for internal service discovery and communication across Netflix. To this end, we are migrating our current SDK-based communication architecture to a centralized sidecar service mesh, and are investing in making service discovery and connectivity concerns transparent to application developers as the Netflix ecosystem continues to scale. We work closely with other infrastructure and developer experience teams at Netflix, creating an infrastructure that is decoupled from the developer with a seamless development experience.
Must-have skills & experiences
- Building & operating complex, highly reliable distributed systems involving microservices and APIs
- Experience with Java, C++, Go, Python, or any other object-oriented languages
- A solid understanding of network protocols (L2-L7) and control plane
- Bonus points if you've worked with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, GCP, or similar
What you'll be doing in the role
- Building microservices, APIs, databases, caches, and tooling for a variety of end-users
- Understanding and solving business needs at scale with high-quality solutions
- Leaning into proactiveness and effective communication in pursuit of cross-functional collaborations
- Balancing bias to action with the ability to make well-informed bets
- Engaging directly with end engineering users to understand their needs and improve their experience
You will be successful in the role if
- You thrive in ambiguity; complex and fuzzy requirements are more common than clearly defined customer expectations
- You take incremental steps toward solving big problems; test and learn approaches work better than heads-down development
- You are independent and self-driven; progress is often self-directed by teams & individuals
- You’ve read about Netflix’s culture and think you would thrive here
Here are a few recent talks and posts from members of the team to highlight the work we do:
Netflix is a global company, with a diverse member base, which is why the content we produce reflects that: global perspectives, global stories. As we grow globally, we know that we must have the most talented employees with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences to support our innovation and creativity. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to build balanced teams from all walks of life.
Does this sound interesting? Or does this sound interesting-but-intimidating? Please don’t self-select out, let’s figure it out together. We’d love to talk to you!