About Murmuration/What We Do
Murmuration is a political strategy organization that is transforming the politics of education so that every child can benefit from equal access to equitable and high-quality public schools.
We empower campaigns, advocates, and organizers to better engage and mobilize communities to demand improvements to the public education system. We advise and support our partners in their efforts to plan and execute successful, data-driven electoral, organizing, and advocacy campaigns so that together we can transform the politics of education. And, we build political influence, craft strategies, leverage data and develop technology that enable our partners to accelerate progress, particularly those in traditionally marginalized communities.
Who We Are
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, nonprofit executives, political campaign veterans, and more - and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help improve our work and realize our vision.
Murmuration’s role is to support organizations and communities through our political systems, to raise the profile of the issue of public education such that more Americans will prioritize the needs of our students, and to leverage politics to help to create the broader context in which those on the front lines with our children can thrive. We are focused on transforming the politics of education -- partnering with organizations across the country committed to organizing parents and communities around the issues of public education and educational equity, electing to office and holding accountable local leaders who will make improving public K-12 schools a priority, and advocating for policy changes with the goal of improving outcomes for children. To do this, we believe that it is critical that all of the political stakeholders-- electoral organizations, advocacy and organizing groups, charter associations, networks of schools, districts, elected officials, and voters -- to contribute to a strong and politically savvy education sector that works together toward a common vision of improving public education.
About the Position
The Data Manager is one of the primary people responsible for meeting the data needs of our partners and their respective campaigns for the effective use of our products and services. These members of the Data Team are expert problem solvers, familiar with modern databases and SQL, who can deal with escalated issues involving data discrepancies, and other data mysteries. Working with Partnership Success Managers, you will serve as a key resource for our growing set of partners who are looking to utilize our data-driven capabilities to support their electoral and organizing & advocacy efforts. You will become familiar with how individual partners are utilizing data to enable their mission and provide input and thought leadership in how Murmuration’s capabilities can further drive their activity. The day-to-day work will be supporting the loading, cleansing and reporting of data utilized to meet partner needs. You will also work with other members of the Data Team and other functions in the requirements and prioritization of enhancements and improvements in the tools and methodologies of supporting the data of partners.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to sit on and actively participate in DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) subcommittees. These subcommittees work to ensure that DEI is embedded in everything we do.
The Data Manager will:
- Understand the data requirements of a set of partners for their respective campaigns and ensure the data-related products and services are being set up to meet those expectations.
- Provide support to colleagues within the Partnerships Team, and partners directly, around the rules and processes around how data is managed by Murmuration.
- In collaboration with Partnership Success Managers, establish strong relationships with Partners to ensure the best possible support of their data work through regular communication and meetings.
- Gather a proactive understanding of assigned partner long-term data requirements and provide recommendations and requirements for enhancements or new data solutions.
- Provide support to partners when they raise data issues that require resolution including the coordination of internal and external parties (such as Data Vendors, Technology Partners).
- Make recommendations and provide strategic support regarding ways to make data and database operations more efficient and effective to support partner needs.
The Data team is a highly collaborative, friendly and hard-working group and we are looking for a Data Manager that embodies those values. The Data Manager will report to the Senior Data Manager, and work very closely with our Partnerships, Data Engineering and Data Science teams.
Murmuration attracts employees with distinctive and diverse backgrounds and accomplishments. Integrity, creativity, flexibility, and drive are key attributes of competitive candidates.
The following are “must have” qualities for an ideal candidate:
- Strong problem solving skills as well as the ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Strong communication skills to interact effectively with various internal and external stakeholders to develop data strategy and collaborative partnerships
- An unquenchable desire to identify and fix data issues in a large, complex data environment; we rely on you to constantly be hunting for issues and not waiting to be reactive
- Moderate knowledge of SQL including creating complex queries and manipulating large data sets
- Moderate Experience in scripting languages (Python, etc.)
The following are “nice to have” qualities for an ideal candidate:
- Experience with voter file or election data, or other datasets containing personally identifiable information (PII) is a large plus
Location, Compensation and Benefits
The Data Manager is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S., with location preferred in New York City. Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.